I went to school to be an archaeologist and realized digging in dirt wasn't as fun as it was when I was a kid. Now I dig in archives instead.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

52 Ancestors #13: Thomas Franklin Herring, Apothecary


This photograph is of my great-great-great grandfather, Thomas Franklin Herring, with his youngest son Lewis Barclay Herring.  I estimate the picture to date from around 1875, as Lewis was born in November of 1873.  Thomas was born in Florida on 12 September 1833 to John and Mary (Foreman) Herring.    By the 1850s he arrived in Texas, where he married a young widow, Eliza Ann (Rigsby) Barclay, and they had the following children: Marcia, Charles, James Clinton, Cora, Lawrence Rice, and Lewis Barclay.  Thomas had an apothecary shop in Tyler County, Texas and also composed music in his free time.  He died in Overton, Texas on 4 Feb 1881 and is buried in the Overton Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment